For detailed financial advice contact an Independent Financial Adviser or your local Citizens Advice Bureau

Attendance Allowance

You could get £55.10 or £82.30 a week to help with personal care because you’re physically or mentally disabled and you’re aged 65 or over.
This is called Attendance Allowance. It’s paid at 2 different rates and how much you get depends on the level of care that you need because of your disability.
Find out more about Attendance Allowance

Carer’s Allowance

You could get £62.10 a week if you care for someone at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits. You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for. Aimed at supporting people in work who also care for someone.
You might be able to get Carer’s Allowance if all of the following apply:
- you’re 16 or over
- you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
- have been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years
- you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
- you’re not in full-time education
- you’re not studying for 21 hours a week or more
- you earn no more than £110 a week (after taxes, care costs while you’re at work and 50% of what you pay into your pension) - don’t count your pension as income
- you’re not subject to immigration control

HCC Take a Break

Take a Break is a Hampshire County Council scheme whereby carers can take a break of up to 3 hours per week with care cover provided by HCC. It is not means tested, but a Carer’s Assessment is required for it to be provided.
Find out more about Take a Break

Council Tax reduction

A reduction in Council Tax is available in some cases, if you are a wheelchair user or one or two othe specific cases. More details on the website.

Check your benefits

The government website has links to two benefit calculators entitledto and Turn2us which enable you to find out what benefits you are entitled to.


The existence of a link does not imply endorsement by Parkinson'sUK or the New Forest Branch

If you find any information which is incorrect or out of date please notify the webmaster via the form on the Contact Us page